Wednesday, August 2, 2017

IN A TIME OF FEAR...

It's a time for fear, at least that's what we hear and see and breathe every day. There is always this rush to claim that the end is coming.

I remember once when I was in middle school. It was a dull, gray day outside and I was at recess with a good friend. I was a seriious child (well, mostly so) and I said to him, looking at the day, the end is near. He laughed and said: "You're nuts!" Of course, you know that he was right about that.

What's funny is that I was the religioius one; he never went to church. I had been trained in faith and love and church and worship and all the rest, and I was living more in fear than he was. What's that about?

In someone's scenario, the sky is almost always falling. Now, I don't want to downplay your pain or sorrow. I don't even want to downplay mine. There is plenty to be concerned about, plenty to mourn, plenty of suffering. There always has been.

A friend of mine commented on those movies/tv shows about vampires and the walking dead. Or, there are plenty of movies about annihilation, and coming asteroids, etc. We have this fascination with death in our culture and with crisis. You can't look at the news on TV or cell phone and not hear or read about the hourly crisis.

But, we are the religioius ones. The only crisis that we know about is the crisis of those who have given up on faith or given up on life or despaired about the world as we know it. I worry that we live too much in fear, too much with fear. We lose ourselves and the moments that we have in fear.

God knows there's plenty to be afraid about. But, what if fear is a bigger problem and will kill us way before whatever we're afraid of will.

Jesus calls Peter out of his boat to walk to him on the water. You know the story. Peter is overcome with fear. There's a storm, for God's sake. Peter sinks in the water. At the last moment, Jesus reaches out and brings him back. Jesus says: "O Ye of little faith!"

That's you and me. Faith in Jesus and the God who sent him, and the God who sends the Spirit now, is the basis on which we live. WE do not have to be so afraid. There is One who is with us in the storms who is greater than the storms.

1 John says: "The one in you is greater than the one who is in the world...". I don't know about you, but I think that we're the Christians here, the religious ones. And, the claim of faith on our lives is greater than the claim of anything else. Nothing can separate us from the love of God. Right?

I believe it!
Blessings!
Dave Nichols

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm new to this, as you can probably see. But, I, like you, have convictions and ideas worth sharing. I hope this will be an opportunity to connect with others who are Christian and/or religious. I am happily United Methodist. I am committed to the basic teachings of our church, and to the compassionate outreach to the world.

I hope these pastoral ponderings will generate something in you that is hopeful.
Blessings!
Dave

Blog Archive

About Me

A graduate of Newberry College and Duke University Divinity School.  I have served as a pastor in the United Methodist Church since 1975.

The Sea of Galilee

The Sea of Galilee
There was an error in this gadget