Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Off to Annual Conference, Sunday

We left Spartanburg at 2pm or so, Phillip Stone and I. Our other Lay Delegates are Art and Jean Hartzog, and Shirley and Charlie Hudson. Phillip and I got here around 4:30 and we rushed to register. I went off to my Clergy Session at 5pm where we voted on pastors at all levels. Our own Drew Martin from Bethel, is being commissioned this year as a Probationary Elder. David Smith and I are Elders in the church. Drew will serve another three years as a PE and then he will be ordained Elders. Elders preach and administer the Sacraments in the church, and they go where the Bishop sends them. We do not make our own appointments (find our own work). We are sent. At a little afte six we adjourned for dinner and came back for the opening worship service in which Bishop Mary Virginia Taylor preached on the Conference theme: Invitation to a Changed Life. We sang as every Annual Conference has sung from the beginning the same song to open: “And are we yet alive, and see each other’s face; Glory and thanks to Jesus give for his almighty grace.” It is sung to the tune of “Blest Be the Tie that Binds”, and was written by Charles Wesley. That was it for Sunday. Blessings! Dave Nichols

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm new to this, as you can probably see. But, I, like you, have convictions and ideas worth sharing. I hope this will be an opportunity to connect with others who are Christian and/or religious. I am happily United Methodist. I am committed to the basic teachings of our church, and to the compassionate outreach to the world.

I hope these pastoral ponderings will generate something in you that is hopeful.
Blessings!
Dave

Blog Archive

About Me

A graduate of Newberry College and Duke University Divinity School.  I have served as a pastor in the United Methodist Church since 1975.

The Sea of Galilee

The Sea of Galilee
There was an error in this gadget