Monday, September 27, 2010

The Top Ten Questions God Asks- Number Six

The sixth question in the “Top Ten” Series of sermons on God’s questions of us is: “What are you looking for?” And, we’re into the New Testament and John’s Gospel. John the Baptist is standing near the Jordan River where, of course, he’s been baptizing people when Jesus of Nazareth passes by. John points to Jesus and says: “The lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world…” Some of John’s disciples go with Jesus. Jesus asks these new followers: “What are you looking for?”

Recently on Cable TV I saw the replay of the 25th anniversary of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It was a live concert that lasted for hours. Great musical artists came through. Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel, Stevie Wonder, Sam (of Sam and Dave), Bruce Springsteen, and many others sang and played together. It was wonderful to me because it was the secular musical narrative of my life. I knew most of the songs and sang along. It was great.

One of the greats who performed was U2 (Bono). He sang with Springsteen one of the his songs: “I still haven’t found what I’m looking for…” Here are the lyrics:

I have climbed highest mountains
I have run through the fields
Only to be with you
Only to be with you
I have run
I have crawled
I have scaled these city walls
These city walls
Only to be with you

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

I have kissed honey lips
Felt the healing in her fingertips
It burned like a fire
This burning desire

I have spoke with the tongue of angels
I have held the hand of a devil
It was warm in the night
I was cold as a stone

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

I believe in the Kingdom Come
Then all the colors will bleed into one
Bleed into one
But yes I'm still running

You broke the bonds
And you loosed the chains
Carried the cross
Of my shame
Oh my shame
You know I believe it

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

You notice toward the end the mention of the cross. Bono is a professing Christian and it has led him to confront politicians and to get involved in serving those who are most needy in the world. He sings: “But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for…”

In one sense he has found what he’s looking for in Jesus. And, yet our restless hearts move us to keep looking. In fact, our faith compels us to keep looking for Jesus’ kingdom coming here. We wait; we look for it. We live on tip toe in hope that God will keep coming to us and to his world.

What are you looking for? Celebrate that it’s Jesus. But, keep looking.

Blessings!
Dave Nichols

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sermon Player -

Welcome

Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm new to this, as you can probably see. But, I, like you, have convictions and ideas worth sharing. I hope this will be an opportunity to connect with others who are Christian and/or religious. I am happily United Methodist. I am committed to the basic teachings of our church, and to the compassionate outreach to the world.

I hope these pastoral ponderings will generate something in you that is hopeful.
Blessings!
Dave

About Me

A graduate of Newberry College and Duke University Divinity School.  I have served as a pastor in the United Methodist Church since 1975.

The Sea of Galilee

The Sea of Galilee

Wall Street Journal

NASA Image of the Day