Thursday, July 8, 2010

Being a Methodist in Summer

Summer is always a time when we are coming and going around here. And, we all need to do that. Vacation is a very good thing. For many of us, it's a time to step out of nine months of routine and find some relaxation. Schedules are put aside and we find some rest. During July I will working with the congregation on three themes of Methodism. Beginning July 18, I will preach on grace, beginning with Prevenient Grace.

As we get ready to think and work our way through the meaning of grace again, I offer these questions from John Wesley, founder of Methodism. He asked all Methodists to ask these questions every day. I give them to you as a gift. Ask them about your own faith? They are:


* Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I really am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?
*Am I honest in all my acts and words, or do I exaggerate?
* Do I confidentially pass on to another what was told to me in confidence?
* Can I be trusted?
* Am I a slave to dress, friends, work, or habits?
* Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?
* Did the Bible live in me today?
* Do I give the Bible time to speak to me each day?
* Am I enjoying prayer?
* When did I last speak to someone else about my faith?
* Do I pray about the money I spend?
* Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?
* Do I disobey God in anything?
* Do I insist upon doing something about why my conscience is uneasy?
* Am I defeated in any part of my life?
* Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy, or distrustful?
* How do I spend my spare time?
* Am I proud?
* Do I thank God that I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisees who despised the Publican?
* Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold a resentment toward or disregard? If so, what am I doing about it?
* Do I grumble or complain constantly?
* Is Christ real to me?

See you in Church!
Dave Nichols

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm new to this, as you can probably see. But, I, like you, have convictions and ideas worth sharing. I hope this will be an opportunity to connect with others who are Christian and/or religious. I am happily United Methodist. I am committed to the basic teachings of our church, and to the compassionate outreach to the world.

I hope these pastoral ponderings will generate something in you that is hopeful.
Blessings!
Dave

Blog Archive

About Me

A graduate of Newberry College and Duke University Divinity School.  I have served as a pastor in the United Methodist Church since 1975.

The Sea of Galilee

The Sea of Galilee
There was an error in this gadget