Thursday, July 16, 2009

Loving our World

Loving our World is the title of a Chapter in a book (The Taste of Joy) written by Calvin Miller. It has something to say to us about the second rule of Three Simple Rules: Do Good. Here is a quote from that chapter:

I have been a Christian long enough to see that churches are often
communication jams. There is too much talking and too little listening.
Sometimes churches are sterile places where people meet and shake hands with
the mittens on. The late Father Divine once criticized the clergy with the
words, "...Do you know how to relate to others in the church? Or are we afraid
to touch? Do we really trust our brothers and sisters?

Love is the goal of all our relationships.

We love, each other, in church, warts and all, as a way of practicing our faith. We practice so that when we go out into the world we will know what to do.

Blessings!
Dave Nichols

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm new to this, as you can probably see. But, I, like you, have convictions and ideas worth sharing. I hope this will be an opportunity to connect with others who are Christian and/or religious. I am happily United Methodist. I am committed to the basic teachings of our church, and to the compassionate outreach to the world.

I hope these pastoral ponderings will generate something in you that is hopeful.
Blessings!
Dave

Blog Archive

About Me

A graduate of Newberry College and Duke University Divinity School.  I have served as a pastor in the United Methodist Church since 1975.

The Sea of Galilee

The Sea of Galilee
There was an error in this gadget