Monday, March 2, 2009

Spartanburg Hospice

My first exposure to Hospice Care was back in the eighties when I was serving a church in the Charleston area. I was a volunteer Chaplain. Every week, the volunteer staff would meet with the paid staff to plan care for patients. Nurses, visitors, doctors, and a couple of pastors would meet to collaborate on the needs of patients.

Hospice is designed to be religious without being offensive. If someone who didn't have a pastor needed a pastor, and many who are dying, do need a pastor, then I or another pastor would visit them for prayer and support. Hospice is an attempt to support terminally ill patients and their families.

I was reminded of the beauty of Hospice care when I recently had several church members in and out of Spartanburg Hospice House. Sure, everybody knows that when someone they love is put in Hospice care that the end is near. Families gather with some freedom to come and go. A huge room makes it possible for those who love the patient most to surround them and be with them. No one should have to die alone.

The patient is made comfortable. Families and pastors and others who are there to care are welcomed with joy.

Upon entering the Hospice House in Spartanburg, you get a feeling of peace and comfort. The air is full of love as gentle music plays in the background. In this busy world, where people can't take time for very much. It is reassuring to know that at Hospice House people are encouraged to take the time they need to die, to care for the dying, and to process the meaning of it all.

Give to and support Hospice when you can.
Blessings!
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm new to this, as you can probably see. But, I, like you, have convictions and ideas worth sharing. I hope this will be an opportunity to connect with others who are Christian and/or religious. I am happily United Methodist. I am committed to the basic teachings of our church, and to the compassionate outreach to the world.

I hope these pastoral ponderings will generate something in you that is hopeful.
Blessings!
Dave

Blog Archive

About Me

A graduate of Newberry College and Duke University Divinity School.  I have served as a pastor in the United Methodist Church since 1975.

The Sea of Galilee

The Sea of Galilee
There was an error in this gadget