Monday, March 2, 2009

One of Those Weeks

Last week was one of those weeks. My Associate Pastor and I did one funeral each in October 08; so, we knew that it would happen. Last week I had three funerals. That's enough, but I also did the devotion for our District Clergy meeting and then, of course, I had to prepare for the Ash Wednesday Service. All of this comes alongside the usual Sunday morning preparation. Also, on last Thursday I had to spend the afternoon in Mauldin for Mentor Training. Mentors serve people who are just getting started in the ministry process.

I'm not complaining, mind you. This is the way it goes in ministry. You will go for a while without much in terms of people in the hospital, and funerals. Then, it seems to happen all at once. At one time last week, we had five people in the hospital, and one person was in hospice.

On top of this, on Saturday, I attended the funeral for a father of one of our members. It was a touchy family situation but we went to support our member.

Again, I'm not complaining. It's just that this many services, with sermons to prepare, and this many hospital visits, and this many funerals to plan, you run out of time as well as energy. So, it was really good to get a day to chill (as my children say) when snow covered everything today.

I am grateful for the people who are constantly praying for their leaders. Bethel church is so supportive that you can't help but be encouraged and strengthened.

I just got word yesterday that someone else is in Hospice Care. Doing ministry in the church is often a busy thing. But, it is also making the most of these moments in poeple lives- death, sickness, worship- when the door is open to God.

Every week is a week to give glory to God for the privilege of serving.
See you in Church!
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm new to this, as you can probably see. But, I, like you, have convictions and ideas worth sharing. I hope this will be an opportunity to connect with others who are Christian and/or religious. I am happily United Methodist. I am committed to the basic teachings of our church, and to the compassionate outreach to the world.

I hope these pastoral ponderings will generate something in you that is hopeful.
Blessings!
Dave

Blog Archive

About Me

A graduate of Newberry College and Duke University Divinity School.  I have served as a pastor in the United Methodist Church since 1975.

The Sea of Galilee

The Sea of Galilee
There was an error in this gadget